- Baha’is abstain from food and drink between sunrise and sunset for 19 days. While this abstention from food and drink is a test of one’s will and discipline, the Fast is not just about abstaining from food. The Fast is, primarily, a spiritual practice.
Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
In this episode, I’m joined by Bitahnii Wayne Wilson, a Navajo Baha’i from the remote community of Pine Springs on the Navajo Nation in Arizona. We talk about the service work he’s doing in his community, Navajo traditions and prophecies, and how they relate to the Baha’i Faith. Bitahnii also tells us about the changes he made in his own personal life and how he became a Baha’i, the meaning behind a “clan”, and he shares Baha’i and Navajo prayers with us. I hope you enjoy this conversation as much I did!
Find out more about some of the things we mentioned and covered below:
* Help support Bitahnii’s service work here: K’eh Native Action
* Follow and connect with Bitahnii on Facebook here: facebook.com/Navajo-Wayne-Wilson
* The Bab
* Native American Baha’i Institute [NABI]
* Bitahnii mentions the following excerpt from a prayer by the Bab:
“Immeasurably exalted art Thou, O Lord! Protect us from what lieth in front of us and behind us, above our heads, on our right, on our left, below our feet and every other side to which we are exposed. Verily, Thy protection over all things is unfailing.”
* Baha’i academic and author Christopher Buck
If you find Native American culture and the Baha’i Faith as interesting as I do, here are some more links you may enjoy:
– Baha’i Blogcast with Rainn Wilson – Episode 55: Anisa & Doug White
– The Path Home: Reflections on Truth and Reconciliation
– Re-Telling Reconciliation – A Talk by Roshan Danesh
– ARTICLE: Some Native American Prophecies and the Baha’i Faith
– AUDIO: Some Native American Prophecies and the Baha’i Faith
You can find all of our episodes here on the Baha’i Blogcast page, and be sure to ‘subscribe’ to the Baha’i Blogcast for more upcoming episodes on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify and Soundcloud.
Thanks for listening!
Leave a Reply
"*" indicates required fields
The arts and media have a critical role in how we share our community experiences. We’ve got resources, projects and more to help you get involved.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia.
We recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their cultures; and to elders both past and present.