Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
In this episode I interview professional life coach Susan Gammage from Canada. We talk about how she became a Baha’i, why she became a life coach, and how she uses the Baha’i Writings in her work and everything she does. We delve deep into the idea of “sin” and “shame” and she explains why she believes “it’s the stories that separate us and the reactions that unite us”. We talk about her very popular blog SusanGammage.com and all of the books she’s written and working on. We discuss the spiritualization of money; workaholism and other addictions; what she’s currently reading, and how forgiveness is the key to solving so many things within us.
To find out more about Susan Gammage, read her articles, discover her books and all that she does, go to her website: SusanGammage.com
Here are a few links to some of the things we mentioned in our conversation, and some of the quotes from the Baha’i Writings we mentioned as well:
* Susan mentions the book The Promulgation of Universal Peace which is a compilation of talks delivered by Abdu’l‑Baha in New York, Montclair, and Jersey City.
* Susan talks about the book A More Excellent Way by Henry W. Wright.
* I mention Brilliant Star magazine.
* Susan mentions Ocean, a free library of the world’s religious literature.
* We discuss the recent March 1st, 2017 letter from the Universal House of Justice regarding economic life.
* We talk about the Ruhi sequence of books, which you can find out more about here.
* I ask Susan about her book Fear Into Faith – Overcoming Anxiety.
* We talk about the Baha’i Funds, which you can read more about in this Baha’i Blog article: The Baha’i Fund: An Introduction
* Susan talks about reading the entire prayer book with her friend Janna Denton-Howes, who’s a marriage coach and who has also written for Baha’i Blog.
* Susan quotes this portion of a prayer by Baha’u’llah:
Glorified art Thou, O Lord my God! Every time I venture to make mention of Thee, I am held back by my mighty sins and grievous trespasses against Thee, and find myself wholly deprived of Thy grace, and utterly powerless to celebrate Thy praise. My great confidence in Thy bounty, however, reviveth my hope in Thee, and my certitude that Thou wilt bountifully deal with me emboldeneth me to extol Thee, and to ask of Thee the things Thou dost possess.
* Susan quotes this prayer by Abdu’l-Baha:
O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers. I lay all my affairs in Thy hand. Thou art my Guide and my Refuge. I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life. O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord.
Thanks for listening!